Pakistan: TSF supported thousands of affected people
Start of the operation: 9th August 2010
End of the mission: 28th September 2010

TSF has been responding to the flood emergency in Pakistan since August 9th.


We provided support to UNDAC teams (United Nations Disaster Assessment and Coordination) in Punjab and to OCHA (the Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs) in Islamabad to strengthen coordination and support initial assessments. This assignment ended when the Emergency Telecommunications Cluster and other OCHA partners (IHP) took over.

Calling operations ended in Pakistan. They were run with our two implementing partners, Pakistani NGO Youth Resources Center (YRC) and local NGO Hope and Transformation for Poverty (HTP).

Mobile teams, working in pairs (one man and one woman), offered TSF’s services in different districts of north western KPK Province (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa) and southern Sindh Province. They were equipped with GSM and satellite phones.

In this difficult context, we adapted to the needs of the Provinces and the situation in the field, adopting two different strategies to reach people.
- Teams set up phoning centres, installing telecommunications equipment and banners, informing the population of the services.
- They also went and met affected families in their tents and classrooms. The women with whom we were working adopted this strategy in particular, to allow as many affected women as possible to reach somebody on the phone.

In total for the two Provinces, from August 20th to September 28th, calls were offered to 13,480 affected families. It means that more than 94,000 people were re-connected throughout the world thanks to a simple phone call.

TSF-Calling-operations-Sindh-Province3Calling Operations in KPK Province with NGO-partner YRC (August 20th – September 28th)
8 mobile teams visited more than 170 locations (schools, temporary camps) in Charsadda, Nowshera, Peshawar and Swat districts of KPK Province.

The teams provided free calls to 7,362 affected families (17% of international calls to Europe, Middle East, Afghanistan, US...). 49% of the calls were made by women.

Calling Operations in Sindh Province with NGO-partner HTP (September 2nd – 11th)

A TSF ICT staff deployed to Karachi on September 1st from Bangkok to coordinate with the local Pakistani NGO HTP, active in Sindh Province, in order to start the operations as quickly as possible.

Humanitarian calling operations started on September 2nd in Samzi Mandi camp, where 35,000 people are sheltered.

TSF-Calling-operations-Sindh-Province BannerFrom September 2nd to the 11th, 5 teams visited over 30 locations in Hyderabad and Jamshoro districts of Sindh Province. They worked in very big camps where tens of thousands of people are sheltered. The teams provided free calls to more than 6,100 affected families, with over 600 calls made every day.

Only 2% of the calls were international ones. Indeed, affected families in Sindh Province were very poor. They have been displaced from Baluchistan and have few family members abroad. They requested to contact relatives elsewhere in the country.




It is very important for TSF to listen to the victims in order to testify about the situation and the suffering of those affected by such disaster. Each call is powerful and very emotional. We would like to publish all of them and be the voice that passes on the messages of the ones we meet. When victims are able to connect with loved ones, it's the certainty that a smile will light up their faces and that they will feel less isolated from the rest of the world. TSF gives people a voice.



The story of this young girl
Out of eight teams, one deployed to Azakhel camp. Female team members offered free calls to women going into each tent.
A physically disabled girl was found in a tent. When she knew about the free calling services she started weeping and shared her story of being separated from her parents during this flood emergency. She was displaced and she did not know if her parents were dead or alive.


She gave us her father’s cell number and requested to call him. Fortunately, the call was connected and she could speak to her father. She was so happy, her father promised to come soon to Azakhel camp and take her to her mother.

The story of an old man

At Technical College, Nowshera District, there were many people who wanted to talk to their dear ones about the terrible situation. We informed the people about the objective of our mission.

A very old and weak man who was not even able to speak properly came to our team and told that he was alone. He had no money and his mobile was damaged by the water.


His son was in Dubai. He took out a piece of paper from his pocket and showed the contact number of his son. The man started crying. He asked to contact his son. The connection was established. While the old man was speaking with his son, signs of happiness and relief appeared on his face. He told his son about the place where he was staying and his own life conditions.

His son asked him to be patient. He was going to come get him soon.

The story of Zareen Gula 

At Ceena Public School tehsil pabi, Nowshera District. There was a depressed woman named Zareen Gula. She was uneducated and didn’t know how to make a call.


Her husband was in Afghanistan. She had had no contact with him for the last 3 years. She requested to make a call at a number written on the wall, it was the one for her husband.


Contact with her husband was established after several attempts. With tears running down her face, she told him about her grief and suffering. After calling him, she felt thankful and happy.

The story of Farid 

Mr. Farid, resident of a small village in Charsadda District, is now living in GGHS Yakatoot Jehangir Pura, Peshawar.


He had ten children: six sons and four daughters but unfortunately 3 of them died during the disaster. The floods ruined his whole life. He lost everything: his children, the home he had built for his family, the dreams he had for his children. After the disaster, he faced many problems along with his wife and 7 children. He spent much time looking for a shelter for his family.

Thanks to the TSF/YRC teams, Mr. Farid could contact his relatives living in Lahore. He felt less hopeless because they promised to send him money.

The story of Ajmeena

Ajmeena, originally from Charsadda District, is now staying in GGHS Yakatoot, Jehangeer Pura, Peshawar. She lost everything in the floods.


Without any news from her husband, she did not know if he was dead or alive. Indeed, she was able to leave the house before it was swept away by the floods with her 3 children, but without her husband. She was very depressed, she wanted to inform her parents about the tragic situation but she didn’t even have a coin with her to contact them.

Finally, she called her parents thanks to the priority service put in place by TSF and its implementing partner YRC. She informed them about her missing husband. Her parents reassured Ajmeena and told her that they would help her finding her husband.

The story of Haleema Bibi 

Haleema bibi who is now staying in GPS No.2 Tarkha, Nowshera, was living in Tarkha Banda, Nowshera before the disaster.


She was very hopeless when our teams met her because her son’s hand was broken and she had no money to call her brother to come and take him to the hospital. Her husband was out of city.

She finally called her brother thanks to TSF/YRC and told him that she needed his help urgently. He arrived within twenty five minutes and immediately took his nephew to the hospital.

The story of Fida Muhammad


In Charsadda, Fida Muhammad a disabled 62 year-old and his family like millions of Pakistanis lost everything. They took shelter in the Govt. School of Charsadda at Khat Kale GMS. His elder son, Bashir, works in Dubai. Many Pakistani families have members working abroad mainly in Europe and in the Middle East. They are an important source of income particularly in these difficult times.


Bashir had tried to call his parents as soon as he heard the terrible news and suffering in Pakistan but was unable to reach them as they had lost everything in the disaster including their mobile phones.


His parents called him with a TSF/YRC phone. Bashir was sad to hear their house had been destroyed but relieved his loved ones were all safe. He promised to send some money so that his family could buy food and said he would come as soon as possible.


The story of Akbar

Mr. Akbar is about 79 years old. He used to live in Khanpur village, District of Shikarpur. He is currently staying in Mehran Govt School, Hyderabad.

He came to the TSF free calling centre to contact his son AllahBux in Saudi Arabia whom he had not contacted since the disaster.

His son was really surprised because some villagers told him that his father was dead, and his mother was still missing.

Mr. Akbar had no money. That is why he rushed to the TSF camp to get in touch with his son as quickly as possible. Then a TSF/HTP staff took the handset and gave Akbar’s address and other details to AllahBux. On the spot, AllahBux sent his father 3000 Saudi Riyals through a Western Union money transfer.

With this money, Akbar will go back to his village and start a new life with his wife and grandsons.

The story of Afsari


Ms. Afsari used to live in Khazana near Charsadda. She is now staying in Khaiali Camp, Charsadda with 7 other members of her family. When the floods came into their house, they went upstairs to save their lives. They spent three days on the roof of their house without food and water.

She lost everything. They had only one mobile phone and they lost it with other things. They haven’t had any contact with their relatives since the disaster. 

Life conditions in Khaiali Camp are very difficult. This area is ignored by different service providers and they haven’t received any assistance yet, except the one from TSF/YRC Ms. Afsari precised. Thanks to the priority service set up, they could speak with their relatives and ask for dedicated assistance.

Ms. Afsari thanked TSF/YRC through radio FM. I can’t express my feelings. My family and relatives are happy today just because of the phone call we had the chance to make. It has been our first call since the terrible floods.


The story of Sardar Ali


Sardar Ali is an old and disabled person who used to live in Kot Baba Thangi, Charsadda.

Thanks to the phone call offered by TSF/YRC, Sardar Ali spoke to his son Zahid Ali living in Dubai.

The old man alerted his son to the situation and his condition and needs. He told him that he was happy and relieved after their conversation. The whole family came around the phone and could get in touch with Zahid Ali. We saw despair and anxiety begin to give way to relief when this family was able to use telecommunications to be closer to their loved ones.


The story of Zaryab Khan 

Mr. Zaryab khan was living in Mera Kachori, District Peshawar. He has six children and comes from a very poor family; he is the only bread winner of his family working as a mason. His elder son is ten years old. Mr. Zaryab told us that the floods ruined his entire universe. His mother died. His house that he built was totally swept away, with all things inside.

The story of this man is so emotional. During the disaster, all his attention was focused on his mother. Suddenly his mother’s hand slipped from his hand; the pressure of the water was very high. He was unable to save the life of his mother.

When he met the TSF/YRC team, he was shocked. They gave him mental support. And through the free calling service, they put him in touch with his sister who was living in Afghanistan. He could tell her about the death of their beloved mother and share his sorrow.

The story of Bacha Gul

Bacha Gul was living in Charsadda district. He is now living in Shara Camp, Awan Abad. Bacha Gul told his story. When the level of water became very high, they cried for help. Fortunately, one boat came to them. They hardly covered a distance of 2km with the boat and suddenly the water level rose and flood waters trapped the boat. Everybody fell into the water. They were saved by local villagers who threw rubber tyres.

Bacha Gul’s son, Habib Gul, is working in Muscat. It was impossible to contact him since they lost everything in the disaster, including their money and cell phones.

With the help of TSF/YRC team, they called their son. While speaking with him, his mother was crying. People are suffering so much. Living conditions for the survivors remained very precarious, most of them staying under basic tents, lacking of food and water, sanitary conditions being deplorable.
At least they were reassured because all their family members were alive.

The story of Anjuman 
In a school in Rashakai, the TSF/YRC team met a lady named Anjuman. She had 7 children. She needed money urgently for them and she had nothing left.
TSF/YRC enabled her to get in touch with her brother in Dubai. She asked him to send her some money to arrange a better accommodation for her children.
Her brother promised her to send the money within a few days.

The story of Nazia
Nazia and her family (8 members) are staying in Shara camp, Charsadda district. Their story is dramatic, as those of millions of other Pakistani people.
They were sleeping when they heard someone knocking at the door. One of their relatives was standing outside and shouting to go upstairs as the water level was rising. They were shocked to see the slow destruction of their house. They were not safe even upstairs. That’s why they started calling for help. Along with floods there was a heavy rainfall and they spent the whole night being frightened.
The next morning, there was no one to help them. Nazia’s husband and brother in law collected rubber tyres and some large wooden sticks and built a boat. With this boat, they reached the motorway. They spent many days without food and shelter before finally getting a tent.
TSF’s humanitarian calling operations enabled this family to call relatives. They could inform them about the situation and ask for dedicated assistance, in particular for a better shelter.
 The story of Pashmina
Nowshera TSF/YRC team went to Zareen Kali camps. There they met an Afghan family.
There was a lady named Pashmina whose brother was ill after the floods. He was living in the tent with his wife and sister Pashmina. After few days he fell seriously ill and his wife took him to Kabul for further treatment. Pashmina heard from somewhere that her brother had died in Kabul. She was weeping and depressed and asking people to send her to Kabul so that she could see her brother. The Nowshera team saw thelady and asked about her relative's number. They called her cousin and asked about Pashmina's brother named Khan Badshah. He saidthat her brother was alive and fine. After getting this news, Pashmina talked to her cousin. She was relieved and happy to hear this good news.